Channeling his time on the West Coast, our own Sean O’Keefe shares his favorite summer patio tribute to all things California.
The tri-tip steak is the California classic. It’s the signature flavor of al fresco dining in the West Coast sunshine, served with your favorite tomato salsa (featuring Vidalia onions and fresh Georgia tomatoes) and accompanied by the perfect margarita. It’s bliss. With Californians moving to Atlanta in droves, it’s high time to marry the best of California cuisine and al fresco style dining with the Southern tastes of Georgia by introducing this historical Santa Maria Valley recipe to the citizens of Y’allywood. Embrace your inner Californian with this easy-to-make tri-tip recipe! Try giving it a proper Southern welcome by serving it with potato salad and coleslaw or on a sandwich, or stick to the classic California style. Either way, you’ll crave our signature margarita to go with it!
FOR THE PERFECT CENTRAL COAST CALIFORNIA TRI-TIP:
2 Tbsp of kosher salt
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp fresh ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Mix the all of the dry ingredients together to create the meat dry rub.
2. Evenly coat the tri-tip with olive oil and set sit for 10 minutes.
3. Using all of the rub, generously coat all sides of the tri-tip, set aside for 30 minutes.
4. Setup your smoker for cooking at around 220°F using indirect heat.
5. Once the smoker is ready, place the meat directly on the grate and let smoke for 2 hours.
6. Remove from the smoker once finished and set aside allowing the tri-tip to rest for 20 minutes before slicing against.
7. Serve with your favorite salsa!
THE PERFECT MARGARITA:
1 1/2 ounces 1800 tequila silver
1/2 ounce Cointreau
1 ounce fresh lime juice
Lime wedge for garnish
Salt or sugar to rim the glass depending on your taste
If desired, salt the rim of a chilled margarita glass.
2. Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
3. Shake well.
4. Strain into the prepared glass with or without fresh ice.
5. Garnish with the lime wedge.